Lime leaves a toddler who suffers severe burns from the reaction

Parents are being warned to be cautious about letting their children play with citrus after an Australian toddler suffered a bad reaction to a lime.

Tiny Hearts Education, a company that offers first aid training, shared the alert on Instagram to remind parents of an unusual injury called “Margarita Burn.”

“This ugly burn was caused by limescale,” the post reads.

The Education Service warned an Australian toddler named Otis who was having some sense time in a backyard inflatable pool in the sun, where he was playing with a lime from his parents’ lime tree in the garden.

Everything was fine until a day later, when Otis’ mother said she noticed a rash had developed on the boy’s skin.

“What we thought was an allergic reaction to a juice he had that morning was actually the start of an uncommonly known reaction called ‘margarita burn’ (aka phytophotodermatitis),” she said in the Post.

The term is a burn that can result when a chemical called furocoumarin, found in citrus fruits, reacts with sunlight.

Otis’ mother stated there were “no real answers” as to why her son first got the rash before he was taken to the emergency room after his condition worsened.

“It wasn’t until Sunday afternoon, when the rash started to blister, that I started doing more research of my own and was able to put two and two together,” she said.

“The little lime he played innocently with on Friday had now burned his skin terribly!”

“We now have ongoing appointments with our local pediatric burns team for ongoing treatment to ensure there is no long-term scarring and effects,” the mother said.

The post went on to explain that UV rays from the sun can activate the chemical furocoumarin, a chemical found on plant surfaces.

“Remember, not everyone will experience phytophotodermatitis after exposure to furocoumarin,” wrote Tiny Hearts Education.

“Your child may be at greater risk if you have a history of contact dermatitis with other substances, such as metals and detergents.

Originally released as a warning after a toddler suffered severe burns from reacting to lime

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *