NSW floods: Condobolin braces for worst flooding, Forbes floods recede

Showers and storms are expected to hit the already battered towns of central west NSW, with some areas braced for the worst flooding in a century.

Emergency services continue to monitor record flooding in Condobolin as the city is expected to experience its highest flooding since 1894.

Floodwaters from Forbes are currently rushing 85km downstream along the Lachlan River into the small town of about 3400 people.

NSW State Emergency Service Superintendent Ashley Sullivan said flood levels in the city “are about to peak” at 7.8 meters in the coming days, with levels currently standing at 7.3 metres.

“We’ve looked around town this morning and there’s a significant level of preparation,” Mr. Sullivan told the Today Show on Saturday morning.

“Dikes have been built, properties have been sandbagged with sand to protect them from the rising tides here.”

Residents of Condobolin were told to evacuate before 2 p.m. on Thursday.

Mr. Sullivan said there is “still a lot of water” at Condobolin and more is expected as the water flows downstream on the Lachlan River.

The SES is also urging all communities in the area to remain vigilant, as the forecast rain could cause more potential flash flooding in already full catchments.

“While weather is not expected to be as severe as last weekend, storms are unpredictable in timing and location and can cause flash flooding and landslides,” SES said in a statement.

“Windy weather can fell trees, blow outdoor objects around and remove roofs, so NSW SES is advising people to prepare their properties now.”

Mr Sullivan said there are many emergency services in Condobolin to prepare the community for the worst.

“We have a lot of SES in the city … we have the ADF nearby supporting them, a lot of emergency response and community support in this city,” he said.

While Condobolin residents are on high alert, Mr Sullivan said people in Forbes are watching the floodwaters recede, with attention being focused on recovery and cleanup.

Mr Sullivan said there had been 245 calls for help in the past 24 hours, nine of which were for flood rescues.

“Our safety advice is not to drive, ride or walk in flood waters at all,” he said.

“We saw several flood rescue activations for cars that have entered flood waters in Forbes and Leeton this morning and occupants of those vehicles had to be rescued.”

Eugowra residents continue to clean up from the ‘wall of water’ that hit the town earlier this week.

The town of 700 was devastated when floodwaters tore through businesses and homes early Monday.

Authorities are still looking for 85-year-old Ljubisa “Les” Vugec, who was last seen at a house on Evelyn Street in Eugowra around 9am on Monday.

There are currently 108 warnings across the country, 23 of which remain at emergency level.

Originally released as Condobolin in NSW Central West to prepare for the worst flooding in over a century

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *