Recreating your favorite restaurant dish or meal isn’t as difficult as you might think. Not only restaurant dishes, but also the cravings for fast food dishes can accompany us for some time, such as the popular peri-peri chicken liver with ultra-soft Prego buns.
Peri-peri chicken livers are a common part of appetizer menus and sometimes a top choice for main courses as well. Recreating this at home gives you equally the spicy peri-peri flavors inspired by Mozambique, with an equally rich and full-bodied sauce that pairs well with rice or Portuguese rolls.
Mozambican Peri-Peri Chicken Liver:
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 5 ml (1 tsp) garlic, crushed
- 5 ml (1 tbsp) paprika
- 500 g chicken liver, cleaned and rinsed
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 30ml (2t) fresh garlic, crushed
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried chilli flakes
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken broth
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) tomato paste
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Hulett’s white sugar
- 4 bay leaves
- 8 ml (1½ t) salt
- 3 ml (½ tsp) ground black pepper
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) peri-peri sauce
- 125 ml (½ cup) fresh cream
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
ALSO TRY: Recipe of the Day: Vegan Butter Chicken and Sweet Sponge Cake
- Mix together the Worcestershire sauce, garlic and paprika. Place the chicken livers in a bowl and mix with the sauce and leave to marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat and gently sauté the onion, garlic, and chili flakes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and bay leaves and bring to a boil, covering with a lid. Reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add salt, pepper, peri-peri sauce, and heavy cream.
- Place a skillet over medium-high heat, add the butter and gently sauté the marinated chicken livers for +/- 2 minutes on each side, until just cooked, and toss in the sauce.
- Serve with rice or Portuguese rolls.
*This recipe can be found at holetsugar.co.za