A five-year-old boy had a terrifying encounter with a python, with the snake attacking him and dragging him into his family’s pool.
Little Beau was playing by the pool with his brother at his family home in Byron Bay when he was attacked by a ten foot python lurking in the garden.
The boy’s father, Ben Blake, told Melbourne radio station 3AW he was appalled that the incident unfolded on Thursday.
“Beau went swimming with his brother yesterday and out of the blue a ten foot python probably decided to wrap its mouth around his Achilles tendon, his ankle,” Mr Blake said.
“They both rolled into the pool and the python wrapped itself around him.”
The father said there was a garden at the edge of the pool and Beau was walking past the foliage when the snake struck.
Mr Blake said he believed the python was waiting for a “victim”, such as a bird, but attacked his son instead.
Do you want to stream your messages? Flash lets you stream 25+ news channels in one place. New to Flash? Try 1 month free. Offer available for a limited time only >
The snake bit the little boy’s ankle before wrapping its body around his leg and dropping them both into the water.
“It was instant. I saw a big black shadow coming out of the bush and before they reached the bottom it was completely wrapped around his leg,” he said.
Beau’s grandfather Allan, 76, was the first person to react to the situation, jumping into the pool after the boy.
Mr Blake said his father was in the water “before I even had a chance to even think about getting in the pool”.
“He passed him on to me and then I had to separate the two, get his legs off him,” he explained.
It took Beau’s father about 20 seconds to separate the boy from the line, with Mr. Blake branding it “quite an ordeal.”
He told 3AW it’s not uncommon to see snakes where they live, but having one so close to home is unusual.
“It’s Australia, they’re on their way. But such a big python lurking in the bushes right next to the pool, not so much,” he said.
Luckily Beau is fine and Mr Blake said the boy calmed down when they were able to remove the blood and tell him “he wasn’t going to die because it wasn’t a poisonous snake”.
“He’s actually pretty good,” he said.
“He’s a soldier.”
Mr Blake said Beau would have a few days off from school so the family could monitor the bite and make sure he wasn’t catching it.
As for the snake, the father released the reptile only for it to come right back.
“I held him for probably 10 minutes while trying to calm my father, his partner and my two boys,” Mr Blake said.
“Then I released him and he went back to the crime scene, the naughty thing.”
Last month experts issued an “urgent warning” to watch out for venomous snakes in NSW as recent weather has created the “perfect environment” for the dangerous creatures.
The Australian Reptile Park said snake sightings in the state have increased due to heavy rains and rising temperatures.
“The unusual amount of rain we’ve had means we could be facing a massive snake season,” said senior reptile keeper Jake Meney.
“When it rains, activity of small mammals, other reptiles and birds can increase, and that means snakes are likely to be more active and foraging.
“The rise in temperature will also cause snakes to be out and about looking for a mate as the breeding season progresses.”
Originally published as a boy being dragged into the pool by a ten foot python