Doctors find USB charging cables in boy’s stomach

A 15-year-old boy stunned doctors when he arrived at a hospital with a USB charging cable – which appeared to work for both phones and headphones – and had somehow become lodged in his gut.

The boy, from Diyarbakir, Turkey, was taken in by family after complaining of nausea and stomach pains. An X-ray quickly revealed the plastic-covered nightmare awaiting digestion.

He was thrown into an ambulance and – about three hours away – taken to Firat University Hospital in Elazig, where a specialist was scheduled to examine the charger dectomy.

Pediatric gastroenterologist Yasar Dogan requested an endoscopic procedure to free the boy from the cable.

When he arrived, the head of the Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Professor Dogan, and his team removed the foreign body after an endoscopy.

“We obviously had difficulty removing the cable because one end of the cable had entered the small intestine,” Dogan said.

After finally pulling the coiled cord out of the teenager – it was discovered at the time to be a meter long – a hair tie was also discovered inside the boy.

It remains unclear how or why he consumed the items.

“After the successful completion of the procedure, the patient was sent home healthy,” Dogan added.

This article originally appeared in the New York Post and is reproduced with permission

Originally published as Doctors find USB charging cable in boy’s stomach

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *