Britain’s Prince Harry and his wife Meghan on Saturday dismissed an apology by the Sun tabloid for publishing a column highly critical of Meghan as a “PR stunt” and said the newspaper had not contacted them to apologize.
In the column, TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson wrote of Meghan: “At night I can’t sleep as I lay grinding my teeth and dreaming of the day when she has to roam the streets of every city in Britain naked while the crowd chants: ” Shame!’ and throw clods of feces at her.”
Britain’s regulator, the Independent Press Standards Organization (IPSO), said Tuesday it had received more than 17,500 complaints, the most about an article since it was founded in 2014.
“While the public fully deserves the public’s regret for their dangerous comments, we would not be in this situation if The Sun did not continue to capitalize on and exploit hate, violence and misogyny,” said a spokesman for Harry and Meghan.
“A genuine apology would be a change in their reporting and their ethical standards for everyone. Unfortunately we are not holding our breath.”
In its apology, The Sun said: “We at The Sun regret the publication of this article and we are truly sorry,” adding that the article had been removed from its website and archives.
More than 60 MPs signed a letter from Caroline Nokes, Chair of Parliament’s Special Committee on Women and Equality, to the editor of The Sun, warning that such articles contribute to a climate of hatred and violence against women.
In a statement posted to Twitter on Monday, Clarkson said he was “appalled to have caused so much damage” and would “be more careful going forward.”
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as Harry and Meghan are officially known, stepped down from royal duties in March 2020 and said they wanted to make a new life in the United States, away from media harassment.
In a Netflix documentary series, Meghan opened up about how her treatment by the media had left her feeling suicidal and worried about whether she and her children were safe.
© Thomson Reuters 2022.