Bondi Beach: Teen swallows bluebottle on Christmas Day

A teenager spent Christmas Day in hospital after swallowing a bluebottle while swimming at Bondi Beach.

The 18-year-old managed to get back to shore after the stinger crawled into his mouth, where he was treated by lifeguards, who called an ambulance around 1.20pm.

A spokeswoman for NSW Ambulance told NCA NewsWire that paramedics were at the scene and took the boy down the road to St Vincent’s Hospital.

He was later discharged, the hospital confirmed on Monday.

It is not known how the bluebottle got into the boy’s mouth or if it was dead or alive when he swallowed it.
Bluebottles float on the sea surface and are moved by wind and currents rather than active swimming.

UNSW researchers say around 1 in 6 Australians have been stung by a sea sting, most of them by bluebottles.

Surf lifeguards help treat more than 40,000 stab wounds each year, with blowfly being the leading cause of first aid treatments reported by lifeguards.

Anyone bitten by a bluebottle is urged to heat the bite site as quickly as possible, with best results achieved by soaking the skin area in hot water for about 20 minutes.

If hot water is not available, a cold compress is recommended to relieve pain.

Originally published Hospitalized as a teenager after swallowing a bluebottle on Bondi Beach

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *