We’ve all heard about the unintended consequences of Apple’s AirTag being used by stalkers and thieves to track people. The company has released several updates that it claims increase user security. But so far nothing has mitigated the risks.
CLICK HERE TO RECEIVE KURTS CYBERGUY NEWSLETTER FULL OF QUICK TIPS, TECHNICAL REVIEWS, SAFETY WARNINGS AND EASY HOW-TOS THAT WILL MAKE YOU SMARTER
However, Apple has been working overtime to prevent stalking by those using the AirTag maliciously and has released an update that provides more accurate tools to help you find and locate unwanted AirTags around you.
HOW TO SAVE YOURSELF FROM HOLIDAY TRAVEL NIGHTMARE
What does Apple’s latest update do?
The latest update from Apple improves the feature known as precision finding. This feature has always been included with AirTags since it was first released. However, until now it was only possible to locate your registered AirTags. Now it can identify unknown AirTags that are following you without your knowledge.
GREENWALD CALLS ON TIKTOK TO CENSOR ON BEHALF OF THE US GOVERNMENT, NOT JUST CHINA
Your iPhone will alert you when an undetectable AirTag is near you, and even sound a squeak alert if the AirTag is hard to hear, so you’ll be aware of it much faster. This feature is only available for users with iPhone 11 models or later. You must have the latest iOS16.2 update or later to install it.
TWITTER USERS SALUTE, FURY AS MUSK DECLARE THAT TWITTER WILL “FOLLOW THE SCIENCE” AND ENCOURAGE “QUESTIONING”.
How do I know if my AirTag has the latest update?
AirTags do not automatically update like iPhones, iPads or laptops. Instead, they receive firmware updates that are released over time, rather than being available to all users at once. To check if your AirTag has the latest firmware update:
- open that find mine apartment
- Loss article and select your AirTag from the list
- Tap your AirTag’s name to view it serial number Spirit current firmware version
- The latest update at the time of this publication is version 2.0.36. So if this is the one listed, you’re done. Periodically check to see if a different version is listed as your device updates.
What do I do if I find an unknown AirTag?
- Remove the battery immediately by pressing the center of the back panel and turning it counterclockwise. This will disable the AirTag until the battery is reinserted.
- Look inside the AirTag look for the serial number and report this number to the police.
- Do not dispose of or destroy the AirTag. Give this to the police along with the serial number when making a report.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
To learn more about how to identify or disable an AirTag, visit CyberGuy.com and search for “AirTag” by clicking the magnifying glass icon at the top of my site.
And while you’re on my site, be sure to subscribe to my free CyberGuy Report newsletter by clicking the ‘Free Newsletter’ link at the top of my site.
Copyright 2023 CyberGuy.com. All rights reserved. CyberGuy.com articles and content may contain affiliate links that earn a commission when purchases are made.