Hervey Bay, Queensland: Snake catcher has been hospitalized after a venomous small-eyed snake was taken to the hospital

A Queensland hospital was forced to call a snake catcher after a patient brought in a venomous snake after being bitten.

Hervey Bay Snake Catchers were called to Hervey Bay Hospital on January 20 after a man brought in the reptile in a jar after stepping on it.

Snake catcher Drew Godfrey was told it was a red-bellied black baby snake, but on arrival it was found to be an eastern small-eyed snake – a much more venomous species.

“Both belong to the same family of snakes, but the small-eyed snake doesn’t grow as large and is much more venomous,” Godfrey said.

Mr Godfrey quickly removed the snake after showing it to the nurses and released it into a natural habitat.

Though extremely venomous, the small-eyed snake poses little threat to humans, Godfrey pointed out.

“It’s really unusual and the snake only bit him because it would have been hurt and scared,” he said.

“It has not been known to bite humans, it is very secretive and shy and more likely to headbutt or stand up than to bite.”

According to Mr Godfrey, the bite victim is said to be fine.

“Luckily he did the right thing and went to the hospital,” he said.

“It’s actually hard to die from a snakebite these days with the right first aid and medical attention, so hopefully old pal should be fine.”

Originally published as Snake Catcher, named after a venomous reptile that was hospitalized after being bitten

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *